The History of Lexington, KY (best city on Earth according to our movers, home inspectors, furniture repairers, pressure washers, mobile detailers and junk removers)
Happy Sunday night/Monday morning Lexington, KY. I hope everyone has had a great weekend and is looking forward to a great work week! The summer weather is beautiful and great if you are able to get out the pool or golf course. Lexington is the most beautiful city on Earth, here is an intro to the "history of Lexington KY" (read more here: http://www.archive.org/stream/cu31924028845993/cu31924028845993_djvu.txt): The first settlers of Lexington found here a well, regularly and artificially built with stone,* a domestic convenience unknown among the American Indians, and they plowed up curious earthen vessels,! such as could only have been manufactured by at least a semi-civilized people. In 1790, an old lead mine, which had every appearance of having been once worked and abandoned, was opened near this city.t Kentucky's first historian^ tells us of stone sepul- chres, at Lexington, built in pyramid shape, and still ten- anted by human skeletons, as late as two years after the siege of Bryant's Station. " They are built, " says he, " in a way totally different from that of the Indians." Early in this century, a large circular earthen mound, about six feet in height, occupied a part of what is now called Spring street, between Hill and Maxwell. It was located between the property of Dr. Bell and the rear outbuildings of Mr. P. Yeiser. In course of time it was leveled, and was found to consist of layers of earth of three different colors. In the center was discovered an earthen vessel of curious form and a quantity of half-burnt wood.§ The mound is supposed to have served the purpose of a sacrificial altar. A stone mound, which stood not far from Rassell's cave, in this county, was opened about 1815 and found to contain human bones.* These well-attested facts, together with the tradition re- lated to this day of an extensive cave existing under the city of Lexington, relieve of its improbable air the state- ment that a subterranean cemetery of the original inhab- itants of this place was discovered here nearly a century ago.f In 1776, three years before the first permanent white settlement was made at Lexington, some venturesome hunters, most probably from Boonesborough, had their curi- osity excited by the strange appearance of some stones they saw in the woods where our city now stands. They removed these stones, and came to others of peculiar workmanship, * Morse. t Ira'ayi page 369. J Old Kentucky Gazette, 1790. U John Filson. g Beuj. Keiser. * Prof. Eafinesque., t Letter to Eobt. Todd, published in 1809. ANCIENT LEXINGTON. 3 which, upon examination, they found had been placed there to conceal the entrance to an ancient catacomb, formed in the solid rock, fifteen feet below the surface of the earth. They discovered that a gradual descent from the opening » brought them to a passage, four feet wide and seven feet high, leading into a spacious apartment, in which were numerous niches, which they were amazed to find occupied by bodies which, from their perfect state of preservation, had evidently been embalmed. For six years succeeding this discovery, the region in which this catacomb was located, was visited by bands of raging Indiatra and aveng- ing whites ; and during this period of blood and passion, the catacomb was dispelled, and its ancient mummies, prob- ably the rarest remains of a forgotten era that man has ever seen, were well nigh swept out of existence. But not entirely. Some years after the red men and the settlers had ceased hostilities, the old sepulchre was again visited and inspected.* It was found to be three hundred feet long, one hundred feet wide, and eighteen feet high. The floor was covered with rubbish and fine dust, from which was extracted several sound fragments of human limbs. At this time the entrance to this underground cemetery of Ancient Lexington is totally unknown. For nearly three-quarters of a century, its silent chamber has not echoed to a human footfall. It is hidden from sight, as efiectually as was once buried Pompeii, and even the idea that it ever existed is laughed at by those who walk over it, as heedless of its near presence as were the generations of incredulous peasants who unconsciously danced above the long lost villa of Diomedes, That Lexington is built upon the site of an ancient walled city of vast extent and population, is not only evi- dent from the facts here detailed, but the opinion becomes almost a certainty when viewed in the light of the historic proofs that can be produced to support the claim, that all * Ashe. BISTORT OF LEXINGTON. the region round about her was at a distant period in the past the permanent seat of a comparatively enlightened people. As early as 1794,* it was well and widely known that in the neighborhood of Lexington there existed two distinctly defined fortifications furnished with ditches and bastions. One of these ancient monuments was visited in 1820 by Rafinesque, the celebrated professor of natural history in Transylvania University, a gentleman whose opinions on the subject of the ancient remains in the Mis- sissippi Valley are so often quoted by historians and so much respected. His map and plate of the remains near Lexington constitute one of the most valuable features of the " Smithsonian Contributions."t He saysj of the forti- fication already named: "I have visited, with a friend, the ancient monument or fortification situated about two and a half miles from Lexington, in an easterly direction, and above the head of Hickman creek; and we have ascertained that it is formed by an irregular circumvallation of earth, surrounded by an outside ditch.